Friday 31 January 2014

FFC24 - Silver and Gold!


Welcome back to the next Festive Friday Challenge! Here's the inspiration photo:



Lots of silver and gold with a couple of red touches! I chose to focus on that one clear glass ornament with the gold snowflake on it.

Making this card is so, so easy, but I think that the acetate window gives it a wow factor.

The trickiest bit is cutting the circle window in the same spot in the silver panel and the white cardbase. But I just laid the silver on top of the white and ran it all through the cuttlebug at the same time. It didn't cut through the white, but it did leave a big impression where I could place the circle nestability after I had taken the silver panel out of the sandwich. And it left that embossed 'frame' on the silver panel for a little extra texture!

I then simply taped some acetate in the window, die cut the Simon Says Stamp snowflake from SU!'s new Gold Foil paper (backed with Scor tape so that the snowflake became a sticker) and placed it in the window. The 3 little 'nail heads' at the bottom are some of the circle cut outs from the snowflake - they were too perfect not to use!

As for the inside, I dithered (that's a mom word for sure!) whether to stamp the sentiment so that it could be partially seen through the window or not. In the end I stamped a Creatiate 'Merry Christmas' in Cherry - here's how it looks. Although maybe you could argue that it mimics the cluttered, layered look of the ornaments in the box, I think I prefer it without the sentiment! I'd love to hear what you think! And we'd love to see you link up - the deadline is Wednesday Feb 12.





23 comments:

  1. Love the card ....gold snowflake is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is Wow factor. I totally love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! (I, like you, prefer that the sentiment not show. But either way, this is one spectacular card.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with you and prefer it without the sentiment. That way the snowflake really shines! But that's not to say that the other one is terrible - both cards are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! I LOVE this and so want to CASE it! I think I prefer it without the sentiment showing to let the snowflake shine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply brilliant. Gold and silver with acetate-who knew they would be so stunning together?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous card, Ardyth! You never cease to amaze me with your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really stunning Ardyth! It took my breath away and I like the impression on the frame and the little gold dots you placed so perfectly. I agree with you on the sentiment. I think it looks more elegant without it placed within the acetate circle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So breathtaking, Ardyth ... I agree with you, I prefer it without the sentiment ... that way the recipient can revel in the gorgeousness of the snowflake! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I prefer it without seeing the sentiment...so beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card literally took my breath away! IT IS STUNNING!!!

    I'm so seriously in awe of your creativity! The acetate window with the gorgeous die cut and the fabulous shade of blue shimmer paper seen to create a mystical feel to your card.

    ... and those three wee dots that didn't make it to the garbage bin...um....perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning! Love the snowflake. Those nailheads are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one gorgeous gold snowflake. I think it would show better without the sentiment behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. O so chic. What a beauty! CAS at it's best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great design and beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you have earmarked this right now as one of your favorite cards of 2014, Ardy. (Altho, do I say that for EVERY card?!!) I'm blown away by the pureness of this. I do like it better without the sediment so that window gets the star attention it deserves. I'm so glad I follow you on Pinterest! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that such a simple card can pack such a punch. This is gorgeous and I love the little "nail heads" at the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So very pretty! I love the metallic look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning simplicity, with most certainly a WOW factor in that gorgeous snowflake on center stage. The sentiment is pretty, but I agree with the others in leaving it out. The snowflake truly is the star...
    c

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog! How was someone like you, not on my radar?!

    Your CAS style is totally amazing. I love the style, but an artist needs an uncanny sense of composition to pull it off. (I don't have that.) Your designs just blow me away. I will be signing up to see when you post, and some of your cards will be posted to my Pinterest board. (I have spare boards, because I Pin only for tutorials or fabulous items with more to see on that site.)

    You were so kind to leave me a comment, because my tag likely put your eyes out. (It's even over the top for me, but I love to experiment.) For your card, I would have loved to see it head on and closed, with the sentiment through the window. That's an intriguing technique, but I can't image how the lines of the snowflake work with the lines in the text. (Does the deep red keep the gold from mingling?) I'm also amazed that the gold paper tolerated the thin die lines so well, and that you were able to get the paper out of the die without lots of folds being introduced.

    Thanks again for leaving a comment. I'm just thrilled to have found you.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.