Tuesday 21 January 2014

CASology 79 - Contrast


This week's CASology Cue Card is Contrast (and there's a back story!)



Just in case you think we (the DT members) don't struggle with CAS too, let me tell you where this cue card came from. One of us made a card for one of the upcoming challenges and uploaded it to the DT blog. She also asked us if we thought it was CAS enough. Let me tell you, it was a gorgeous card, and it was simply stamped, but it had very little white space. We agreed that it probably was not the best example of CAS and she went back and made another one.

We thought it would be fun to CONTRAST between CAS and not CAS. Some of us have made two new contrasting cards for this challenge, but I (running out of time) went back through my old cards and found one that I could CASify (word trademarked by my friend Susan Raihala).

Here's the original, from May 2013. Now don't get me wrong. I love this card. I love lots of non-CAS cards, but the point of CASology is to showcase CAS style.


See what I did? I used the same sentiment, and all the colours (plus one more, actually), but I toned it down a bit. Left a lot more white space. Seriously, white space is THE key to any clean card (clean and simple, clean and layered or clean and graphic). But white space doesn't have to be boring and flat. In order to maintain the linear feel of the original, I popped the strip up and added a bit of interest.

Anyway, that's where the Cue Card came from, but as always, you can interpret CONTRAST in any CAS way you like! Just remember to link up before the deadline next Sunday at 5:00 pm EST.

Here are links to the other DT members' blogs - go see how they've shown contrast!






26 comments:

  1. Intresting ..Such a sweet card Ardyth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good explanation of the whole CAS thing! Another fun card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this contrasting example and explanation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ardyth, what a great explanation of the cue this week and the story behind it! Your cards are both wonderful...I honestly love both versions. I agree, white space is the hallmark of any CAS card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love both cards! :) Though, I do really love seeing all that white space in the first card! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are gorgeous, Ardyth ... the second is such fun ... the colours positively bounce! The first, with all that glorious white space and the wee dots of colour ... wow ... love! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both such fabulous cards Ardyth, love the white on your first card. Great explanation on this weeks challenge too

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a cool challenge...love your more CAS version and your first version too Ardyth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story behind the cur card, love ur take though. Hope to make my contrast card soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love both versions....super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ADORE your CAS-ified card...the glorious white space is stunning! The popped up strip adds interest and depth to the card :)

    Thanks for the CAS info. I know that there are a whole whack of us that likely have a stack of cards sitting 'on the fence', not quite sure if they are indeed CAS. Your post definitely helps to define CAS.

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This shows contrast perfectly! I love how you CASified is our card. (Thanks for that fab word Susan. I love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved your story, and seeing the evolution of your card. I agree that your new one is CAS-ier, but I love them both.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this is a super card - uber clean and simple and so you. Thanks for the back story too!

    I have to say that I love the original too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I remember the first card, and remember how awesome your CAS style in Ardyth. I love your redesign or your CASification--lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your explanation of this week's cue card...I love your CAS version of the original, and it drives home the point beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a brilliant idea! Love that you shared both cards because the first one was awesome, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this is such a fun idea and I love your CAS version, all that white space makes me sing....well if I could!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew you as an amazing CAS cardmaker, but didn't know you made non-CAS cards too this amazingly well. Love both your cards Ardyth. Thanks for this inspiring post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great CAS contrast card Ardyth - and informative backstory!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how you simplified your original design. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome example of the challenge and I like your explanation. The popped up strip is a good tip and I also love the rainbow. I always start mine with red and go from there but I like how the red is in the middle of this one - still the right order but the red doesn't always have to be first! Must remember that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful commentary, Ardyth! Completely agree! This CASifying would be a fun regular feature too : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. I heart these cards! They are so fun and simple, but speaks volumes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow...just so fun. I love both of them.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.