Thursday 20 June 2013

Muse #22 - 50 Shades of Grey


Now THAT got your attention, didn't it? (actually, it's getting a bit old now - where's the next big thing?!)

This card looks so innocent, sitting there all cool and grey and clean and simple. However, my recycling bin was definitely harmed in the making of this card. As in over-filled. Twice (and that's only a very slight exaggeration).

First I struggled with the design. Then I struggled with execution of the design (shading not light enough where I wanted the sentiment, masked strip not straight and/or parallel. Then I struggled with finger prints, badly placed stamp impression (Avery Elle sentiment, completely not their fault!), 'brilliant' new ideas that I was sure would be amazing, and then ended up not liking. Then, when I finally had it all together, with the white panel matted on black and adhered to a Fog card base, ready for its close up, the man in brown arrived at my door.

With my Stampin' Up! order, which included one pack of Smokey Slate card stock (and LOTS of Whisper White, to keep my recycling bin on its steady diet). Oh. My. Word! For the first time since Cool Caribbean came along, I am in love with a Stampin' Up! Colour! It is the exact light grey I've been looking for - the same colour as the brushed silver, just not metallic. (you know for sure that means it will be discontinued! lol!)

I resisted the urge to replace the cardbase with the new Smokey Slate, so you'll have to wait for another day  - I just could not face the chance of ruining the panel and having to start over yet again.

And if you're still here reading, you may be interested to know that this is my take on this week's Muse, by Marion (you should really, really go take a look at her June 18 post - wow!):



I focused on the gradient sponging (hence my 50 Shades of Grey), the format and font of the sentiment and the masculine feel of the card.

I hope you'll get a chance to play along this week - the deadline is Saturday at noon, when voting will begin. (You can vote, even if you don't get a chance to play along, just make sure you vote before Sunday at noon, when voting closes so that I can get the winners' post ready for Monday morning!)

24 comments:

  1. Both glorious creations ... and I bet the ones in the bin weren't that bad either!

    Happy Thursday

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. I love the end result...and I'm glad I'm not alone in throwing away lots of paper and having inky fingers. Your patience paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely worth your struggles! Your cards are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool. Perfectly masculine. And I'm going to have to check out that new Smokey Slate SU paper. I love grays... and I love what you've done here. Well worth all the bin fillers! Uber cool. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  5. The second I read your post, I grabbed my new SU catalaogue (that had been opened yet) and gasped when I saw the Smokey Grey! Actually a couple of new colors that did catch my eye!

    Now on to your fabulous card! Love the beautiful gradient shading - flawless transition from one color to the next! Love how you nestled part of the sentiment within the strip - creative genius at work once again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card! Love the clean simplicity of it! And oh boy oh boy! Now I know I NEED that Smokey Slate cardstock! I too, have been on the hunt for that perfect light gray...and I felt that PTI's grays were too light or just too dark! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - It's good to know that I am not alone with Cool Caribbean. Every year, I open that SU catty with hopes upon hopes that they have come to their senses! Someday....I really hope they do! I am close to running out of my cardstock! :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sooo cool, Ardyth ... and your post was just like a re-run of most of my card-making moments ... so I had a chuckle (as I do the majority of the time at my own paper bin filling experiences). I've never done SU ... p'raps I'm missing something?! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous and 50 Shades of Fabulous!!! hee hee hee Just wait until the movie comes out and it will be new all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This version is so clean and neat and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, smoky slate is exactly what the stamping world has been lacking! But the card looks great, even without it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a cool card! Perfect shading and a great masculine card!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH.MY.WORD. - is this complete and total awesomeness or WHAT! Fabulous end result [which by the sounds of it] end result are the correct words :) -- beautiful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice card! LOVE gray and I like the ombre effect of your "shades of gray." :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well...how naughty of you to use that title! It sure lured me in, but your card has captivated me! LOVE this CAS design. Very simple yet so sophisticated!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know the feeling... of just not getting it right!
    You sure got it right in the end!
    great card!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is fabulous! And you're right... Where is the next "thing"?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great. So clean and great for a masculine card :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. lol! I have to admit, you got my attention. Super masculine card. I've been on a gray kick lately...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a beautiful take on Marion's card! I love your ombre' strip and your CAS design...as always, your card is amazing, Ardyth!

    ReplyDelete
  21. CAS perfection as always Ardyth! And you are too kind to give me a shout out on my video...Thank you. Means a lot coming from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea on this one! Thanks for sharing the things that went wrong too, interesting to read about your process. It looks awesome here, but I bet it looks fab on that Smokey Shadow too : )

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.