Monday 3 June 2013

Keeping It Real


In case you thought that I've been absorbing all the birthday love I've received this week and am developing a really big head, I have a funny story for you.

You remember my neighbour. She's almost 84, and I've made a couple of cards for her before - here and here. Last week, she asked me if I would make a wedding card for a couple whose wedding she can't actually attend.

I asked for design direction (not in those words). What is the bride's colour scheme? Brown.  (in July?!) What are her flowers? Sunflowers. See this Mother's Day card you received - what do you, don't you like about it? It's pretty. (Pretty busy in my opinion, but I know CAS isn't for everyone!)

I thought I was sunk because I don't have any sunflower stamps. But I came home and looked around and found the little poinsettia from a Stampin' Up Christmas set. If I stamp it in yellow, offset it and stamp it again to fill in the petals, it starts to look like a sunflower. Once I fill in the centre and make it a solid brown, it looks really good.

So I made up this card with the copper sentiment (Printworks) and the coppery-brown gems and took it over.

She said. And I quote. "Well, that's kind of nice." LOL!

I took it as it was meant and asked lots more questions to get more design direction. (bigger and more sunflowers next time). And I have to admire her for saying what she thought rather than taking a card she wasn't happy with - there's a lesson there, I think.

Plus, she did leave me some birthday love this week - she's the only one who actually SANG me happy birthday! I guess we can still be friends! ;-)



19 comments:

  1. TFS your story... made me smile!
    Luckily you have LOTS of online friends who can appreciate this lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely sunny card Ardyth -your neighbour sounds like a Hoot !(and sounds like you have her weighed up perfectly too LOL!!)
    Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your neighbour sounds like the perfect antidote to being spoilt rotten Ardyth! It just goes to show that cards are subjective and I must say I love the CAS design. Sorry to be so late to your birthday party Ardyth - we've had a few surprises here that have turned life upside down for a bit! Hope you had a wonderful time and so pleased Darnell organised an on-line party for you! Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your neighbor sounds like my 94 year old grandmother. I think when you get to your mid 70s you have license to say what you want! I personally love the sentiment on this card!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A gorgeous card and a clever use of the poinsettia stamp! Thanks for sharing your neighbor story...too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like these little sunflowers, Ardyth! LOL, your neighbor has a different idea of beautiful, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny, Ardy! It IS a very clever card and perfect for the instructions that you had to work with. Bless her heart. I can only imagine us at 84!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great story, Ardyth ... had a good chuckle at your neighbour's frank feedback! I love what you did, these are fabulous sunflowers, perfect with the bling and such a wonderful sentiment! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, the privilege of age! I like how you used a poinsettia stamp to create sunflowers (even if your neighbour didn't!). And I love the gloss on the copper embossing.

    Just imagine if blog comments were audio - you might have had dozens of us singing at you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clever DIY sunflowers!

    My neighbour is the same way, but she's 30ish! She's an ex-hutterite. Not sure if that plays a role in her predisposition to saying whatever pops into her head, but it cracks me up, and she loves that she can say whatever knowing that I won't take it personally.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So it's your style and not hers. It's a great card anyway and I'm sure you'll find something that pleases her.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well - this is a wonderful card - being a CAS lover myself, I appreciate the sparse design and that wonderful straight to the point Bible verse! and I agree - it's good she was able to say she'd like something a little different so it represented her - you could probably find a nice big clip art sunflower and layer it on there and she'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another stunning card...I am in love with your fabulous style.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a rare gift, the friend who can state their opinion honestly! We all have yes-men (and women!) and I treasure the few people I can trust to say...um....that was dumb!
    Personally I love this card too! Genius idea to use a poinsettia stamp :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. ...sweet story! Your neighbor is a lucky lady to have you in her life too! She sure sounds like she calls a spade a spade! That generation doesn't sugar coat much, do they?

    I love your card as it is. I'm not sure if bigger flowers would out shine the importance of the sentiment. I love the bold yellow/black & white combo! Anxious to see version two!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Frankly, I'm in awe that you saw a poinsettia stamp and realized that with a little tweaking it would become a sunflower. Now THAT is talent! Lovely story, Ardyth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol.. I suppose when you get to 84 you kind of know what you like and want in life!!! The faux sunflowers are just brilliant and love the copper text to go with them :0)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a riot! Bigger and more of them. I have to say that I definitely make quite different cards for my 90 year old grandma, which I would never post, and they seem to be really well received. Fab wedding card though ... I just got some bronze EP myself.

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful. i love the sentiment...perfectly stamped yet again.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.