Sunday 30 June 2013

Air Force Thanks!




You know what comes after birthdays, right? Thank you notes!

When I can, I like to give my kids choices about certain things. One of the things I really want them to understand is that life is made up of choices and the consquences of those choices. So when they were younger and they would ask me if they really had to write ALL. THOSE. thank you cards after Christmas and their birthdays, I would say "No. You don't have to take all that time to write all those thank you cards to the people who spent time and money choosing a gift for you. You can just send the gift right back." Strangely, not only did they never make that choice, but they have stopped asking me the question!

This week was Struan's birthday and graduation, so he had a number of thank you cards to write. I opted for a clean, masculine (and easy to reproduce!) design that reflects his current dream - to be a member of the Canadian Air Force (specifically a Snowbirds pilot).

I used Papertrey's Antique Alphabet  for "Thank" and MFT's (Bold Statements) for "You". Circle punches and a little Maple Leaf to create the old RCAF logo which you can see below .

One of the coolest gifts Struan received was an actual RCAF flag from my sister. It is now hanging proudly over his bed (covering the old Hotwheels stickers that have to stay there for now because despite all the promises they will not come off the wall without taking the paint!)


11 comments:

  1. I'm with you, Ardyth! Thank you notes are so important, I am trying to instill that in my children as well! This card in particular is just perfect for the occasion...what a cool flag, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I am sure with ur amazing handmade card to write a note on... Ur boys must be all excited n willing to say thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your card... and love the way you explained to your son about saying thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome gift from your sister for your son. Your thank you notes for him are perfect. And the conversation at your house sounds exactly like my house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So with you on choices, so with you on thank you's, Ardyth ... and what a perfect design for cards for Struan to send out! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That conversations sounds very familiar.:) Very cute thank you. Love the maple leaf in the o.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a valuable lesson you're teaching. And I'm sure it makes it easier to write notes when you have such special cards to use. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous male thank you card, you always give me new ideas for cards Ardyth.

    Love
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  9. So perfect in every way! Love your maple leaf thank-you card! Happy Canada Day, Ardyth! Congrats to your son on his graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your way of thinking! Wonderful thank you note too. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific card! Brilliant way to define the task of writing "thank you" notes to your children. I'm passing the idea to my cousins who have young "teachable" children. :) Thx!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.