Sunday 19 May 2013

The Empty Bin


Last Saturday night, we had a fundraiser concert and silent auction at my church.  My card sales had been pretty slow since Christmas, so I pretty much cleaned out my bin of cards. I took almost all of the birthday, blank and thank you cards I had on hand, grouped them as 7 sets of 10 cards and put them into clear boxes with pretty ribbons around them and donated them to the silent auction. They all sold for decent prices and I was happy to start with a proverbial 'clean slate'. Or empty bin!

Then my mom called to remind me that I had promised to make her 30 bell cards for her Handbell Symposium next weekend. I dropped everything and got them done. (I have photos - I'll show you one day!)

Then one of the teachers at school asked me to make her 40 thank you cards.

Then I made plans to meet up with a girlfriend this weekend. She asked me to bring my card bin because she's desperately low on birthday cards and needs to stock up (she often buys 30 at a time since we don't see each other very often).

Then one of my long-term Christmas card clients emailed me to ask that I make her a 'box' of assorted cards for her personal use.

Oh, the irony is not lost on me! But I'm not complaining!

All this week, I've been busy looking back at my designs to see what I can reuse to whip up a bunch of cards quickly. But I also like to try something new. And it's amazing how just 'having to get it done' gets the creative juices flowing! Love that productive feeling!

This is the first new design I was really pleased with - a simple graphic card using a Michael's sentiment and a Paper Smooches (Sugar Rush) candle. Bold, high contrast colours, simple shapes, a little sparkle and done!

And this is an old design (see here) revamped:



It reminds me of Billboard magazine. And I've entered it into this year's Papercrafter's Gallery Idol contest. If I get chosen by the PC staff to be in the top 20, then I'll be needing some votes for future rounds. Hint, hint! ;-)

16 comments:

  1. Ardyth-Isn't that always the way LOL you dont use something in forever and the minute is gone you need it !! Sounds like generously giving away the contents of your card bin has come back tenfold :) you are going to be a busy bee making all those cards.
    Love todays card-great design and the splashes of colour really pop :)
    Nessa xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh.My.Goodness. Ardyth! I would be like the proverbial chicken careering about in headless fashion, just at the thought of all those cards ... actually I'm surpressing those clucks right now!

    What a delight though, for those who get your cards ... either as senders or as receivers ... your designs are always special, and these are no exception ... just brilliant! Anita :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this story...I just donated a basket of cards for a silent auction and the next day my mum said, "I really need a set of cards." Zero birthday and thank you were in my stash! Not as many asking as you have, but I feel your pain! Love both of your fabulous birthday cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seems like the empty bin is working for you, though! What a great card...love all the glitter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like u have a lot to create :) my favorite is ur billboard card :) what an idea superb
    And yes, my vote will definitely go to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I just love your makeover card Ardyth and I would not be surprised for you to be in the top 20.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow are you in demand--how great! I can sure see why--always love your work & these BD cards are so striking--love them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd vote for you in a heartbeat. You told me a long time ago you needed bell cards and I thought you had them all done. Looks like you're going to be pretty busy for a while but you're a lucky lady that your cards are in such demand. If I didn't make my own, I'd be buying them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Two fabulous birthday cards Ardyth! I love how you always add just the right mount of sparkle!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When it rains it pours -- I wish it would rain for me! How awesome to get that many orders!! Good for you.

    Love the "new" black embossed Bday -- looks so cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too funny! Sounds like what would happen to me--although I never get that many "orders" at once! Whew! These two b.d. cards are nice! Love the "billboard" card w/all those spots of sparkly in the letters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your business success! I am not surprised - I love your card, too! I am curious how it all started - if you are caught up with all your card orders would you mind blogging about it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm relatively new to following your blog but just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy it. I read it every day. And of course I'll been supporting you in the Gallery Idol event! Quick question about something in your post today - I've been thinking about selling my excess cards to coworkers and was intrigued by your friend you buys from you. What do you charge for your cards? I don't want to charge too much as my coworkers are my friends but I want to be fair to myself too. Thanks for the info if you have time to respond. And keep up the great work on the blog. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think with a list like that Mr mojo would have upped ad left me!!! Your cards are so professional it's no wonder you're in such demand :0)
    Love both of these, bright bold and fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cha-Ching! - I bought both of these :) ..and many more...thank you Ardyth for producing under pressure! Your cards truly are so much nicer than anything offered in the stores...and I am so happy to be able to send them to my peeps... Everyone loves your work. Great night out - dinner, a new stash of cards, AND Robert Downey Jr. in Iron Man 3...what more could we ask for? :) Thanks friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. The thought of making that many cards at once would have me rocking in the corner crying! Good luck ;-)
    Tara

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.