Monday 9 July 2012

OLW95 - Stars and Stripes (one last time)



After 3 submissions (see here and here for the other two), I bet you can't wait for NEXT week's OLW challenge and for this one to be over! lol! This week's challenge is to use at least one star and at least one stripe. I made the star by using a nestability to make a reverse mask.  I did the same for the stripe, because I like the not-quite-uniform colouring you get when sponging and thought it would match the star better than a solid red stripe.

One of the things I love about OLW challenges is that the intent is to keep the card really simple. I find that I like to start with an idea and then minimalize it to its essence. I read a quote on Pinterest the other day - "Art is the elimination of the unnecessary".  It didn't say who said that (I guess that was unnecessary, lol!), but it made me think about what I try to do when I'm making a card. I would never claim to be an artist, but I do think that all these cards we make are little works of art in their own way, and that quote perfectly sums up what I aspire to in my cardmaking style. Every once in a while, I even achieve it, I think.

Enough philosophy - on to the good stuff. Don't forget that CASology is starting on Tuesday morning at 9:00 am Toronto time (not that I think Toronto is the centre of the universe, but I can never remember if summer is EST or EDT and I don't want you to be late!!!)

See you then!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Ardyth, greetings from Northern Ontario. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You better start claiming to be an artist......you've got it so why not flaunt it?

    You pack more drama into less ink than I ever would have thought possible.

    And your sun card is just stunning. ONLY an artist would think to use a long triangle Nestie with a circle Nestie to achieve perfection.

    Sponge something you could easily punch? ONLY an artist would think to do that!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Bahb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barb said it all! You have inspired me to take a second look at my nesties and think what can be created by combining the shapes! Love the simplicity of your card!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more - you can and absolutely should call yourself an artist...and when you're feeling cosmopolitan you shall be "Ardite ze Artiste!".
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ardyth, I love the quote from Pinterest. You rocked this weeks challenge. I really like this card. It's the perfect clean and simple "man" card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, too. You are definitely an artist; I've thought of you as such all along!

    In fact, it seems to me that "Ardyth" must mean "Artist" in some language!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is your third entry? That's impressive! And they are three very impressive cards, too. I love the sponged star and stripe - yes, the sponging gives a lovely soft feel even with strong colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your card; the sponging is lovely, and the CAS-ness of it is perfect. This card would be perfect for many occasions. I also am impressed by your words. You said what a lot of us, I think, feel --- our cards are little works of art in their own way. It explains why we love doing this! Thanks for a lovely card.

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.