Friday 27 July 2012

CAS180 - Let it snow






Can you believe I've never played along with Splitcoaststamper's Clean and Simple (CAS) weekly challenge? They've played 179 times without me, but I'm not letting another one go by!

This week's challenge is a sketch challenge based on this card by Darsie:



I used a retired Stampendous snowman and a Papertrey sentiment.

Ever since CASology started (have you made a CAS fruity card for this week's challenge yet?), I've been participating in a lot (A LOT) of discussion about the definition of Clean and Simple.

While there is some gentle disagreement about layers, and colours and embellishments, one thing pretty much everyone agrees on is white space. It's called white space in design, but it doesn't have to be white. There should just be enough space around your focal image to let it breathe.

After discussion with the CASology design team last week, Melissa came up with this list of guidelines for CAS cards, and posted it at CASology.


One thing I know for sure, is that CAS is just one style of cardmaking and design. There are many, many different styles and they all have their own beauty and require different skills. I love CAS, but I love other styles as well - what about you?

16 comments:

  1. I am new to card making and can't help but admire the CAS style -- which is not as simple to create as one might think. Thank you Ardyth and CASology,too, for posting the CASology Checklist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for this card CAS should stand for CUTE and simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fab CAS design! I love the image you've used and the glittery snowflakes look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a cute little snowman, basking in the snow! I love it! :)

    I find that CAS is the most contraversial of all the styles, as you say, with people gently disagreeing on what constitutes a 'true' CAS design. Personally I don't think it's necessary to be strict, but I know there are some purists out there who would gently disagree :)

    I am a CAS girl, but I do love the vintage/shabby chic style but I'm absolutely rubbish at trying to create it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card, Ardyth! Almost makes me want to make another Christmas card in July. Almost. But I will definitely be casing this design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You do rock the white space ... love the positioning of your snowman ... awesome card.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In a word - adorable! That's such a cute snowman, and I love the sparkly snowflakes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the CAS style but I'm not a stamper so I'm glad CASology did not limit entries to one layer cards. Yours are all gorgeous and I aspire to be able to do the same but with cut out images.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your adorable snowman!! The snow"flakes" add so much texture. Fabulous one-layer CAS card!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this sweet image! That wee blue/grey line along his right side really gives him some dimension.

    Great guidelines. I also think that lots of white space and one main image are definitely what make a card clean & simple.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully simple. The placement of the snowman, the definition and the sbowflakes makes for a perfect design.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey, a little late, ok a lot late, but that's our snowman, not Inkadinkado's. Thanks for sharing with this cool friend, we miss him!

    ReplyDelete

When you comment, your personal information (name and comment) are visible to all who visit this blog.